The Knowledge Partners of All Policies for a Healthy Europe issued a joint open letter, calling for health and well-being to be central to EU policy:
Dear President Sassoli,
On behalf of All Policies for a Healthy Europe, we would like to congratulate you on your election as President of the European Parliament. We represent a coalition of leading organisations active in health, environment and digital sectors, championing health and well-being to be recognised as making a crucial contribution to the future EU agenda on sustainable development and inclusive growth.
Given that a recent Eurobarometer survey shows that over 70% of citizens want more EU level action on health and well-being, it is imperative that the EU responds to the needs and concerns of its citizens by embracing the paradigm shift towards an ‘economy of well-being’.
In view of the European Parliament’s priority setting for the next term, we would like to bring to your attention our Manifesto, endorsed by over 20 organisations. We are calling for a cross-sectoral approach that takes all of the multi-dimensional determinants of health and well-being into account, including economic, social, environmental, commercial and political influences. In particular, All Policies for a Healthy Europe calls for:
- A senior European Commissioner to oversee cross- and inter-sectoral action on health and well-being, supported by the Commission health services and the Secretariat-General. This could fall within the remit of a Vice-President for Health and Well-being or Sustainable Development;
- Strengthened health and well-being impact assessments in the EU;
- A ‘home for health’ within the Commission to create a centre of knowledge and expertise to cooperate with other international organisations such as the WHO and OECD.
Digitalisation and the development of data-driven tools and technologies for improving health and well-being across sectors is also seen as a key enabler to the delivery of the outcomes sought in the Manifesto.
By adopting a cross-sectoral approach to policy making, the EU can become a global leader in innovating new approaches to social investment, the circular economy, and the digital transformation of health systems.
Representatives from the initiative would very much welcome the opportunity to meet with you to discuss how we can support the European Parliament in delivering on a Europe that takes more action on health and well-being for citizens.
We look forward to hearing from you.
All Policies for a Healthy Europe Knowledge Partners
- Active Citizenship Network
- European Connected Health Alliance
- European Health Management Association
- European Patients’ Forum
- European Public Health Alliance
- Federation of the European Sporting Goods Industry
- Johnson & Johnson
- MedTech Europe
- Re-Imagine Europa